One of the most important elements for a healthy and happy life is space.
Especially in the warmer months, it’s in the yard at home where you can seek solace from your hectic life from time to time. So if you’ve been running around all spring trying to get everything done, it’s time to put that energy into making your yard a haven of rest and relaxation. Since you’ll be there more often than anywhere else, it’s worth spending some time beautifying what is already there or creating an outdoor area to complement your home.
Here are a few ways you can make your backyard as appealing as possible this summer.
Start with building a wood deck
Building a wood deck is a big project that requires planning. Before you get started, you’ll need to do some research on building codes and permits. From there, it’s time to decide what kind of materials you’ll use, as there are several different options from which to choose. If you’re turning to a professional for your biggest backyard projects, they’ll help you manage permits where necessary and even provide you with some recommendations for the types of materials that would suit your needs best.
If you’ve never done this before, we recommend using treated lumber for durability and longevity. The frame of your deck should definitely be made from treated lumber, however, for the decking surface itself you could upgrade to cedar, composite or even 68 mil sheet vinyl. This means that even if you’re using pressure-treated lumber for the frame, you don’t have to use pressure treated material for the deck surface.
Incorporate natural elements like stone and wood into your backyard design
One of the best ways to incorporate natural elements into your outdoor design is by using stone. Both durable and long-lasting, stone is perfect for creating features that will last you a lifetime like patios, walls, walkways and planters. Not to mention, it also looks great paired with other natural materials such as wood! Natural stone is versatile and can be used in a variety of ways around your home or property depending on the look you want to achieve.
Add some built-in seating to your patio design
Built-in seating adds a unique design to your patio area while, of course, also giving you extra seating. It’s a great way to save space without making the backyard feel cramped, while still providing additional seating that’s easily accessible when entertaining guests during summer parties.
Build a garden wall
Some simple pleasures in life – like a well-designed, polished backyard – just can’t be beat. One option we love to suggest to our clients is to build a retaining wall. Retaining walls are great for creating terraced gardens and preventing soil erosion on sloped yards, but they can also make for an interesting feature.
Use stone, brick or concrete blocks in the design of your choice to improve curb appeal, make your yard more private and even add another level of safety for children and pets playing outside!
Add these other additions to your backyard design for a more natural look and privacy from neighbours
- Add some plant life. This will help you create a natural look and privacy from neighbours, and get more enjoyment out of your space.
- Build a hedge or privacy fence. This is a smart way to divide up your yard and tailor spaces for specific purposes, like an herb garden or children’s play area.
- Place a fire pit in the backyard. Choose a material that suits your taste and style, such as concrete, metal, or stone.
- Add outdoor lighting. Not only does it help your guests feel safe at night when using your backyard, it’s one of those small touches that really adds to the overall experience if summer in your backyard.
- Create a hammock zone. A hammock is the perfect way to soak up the sun while staying cool. Find a spot between two trees or go with the versatile option and secure it to a hammock stand.
- Add a pergola. Pergolas are often used for ornamental structures to create walkways or to act as a patio cover. They can truly be customized to suit your backyard design!
Make your summer backyard ready for anything!
When the weather is beautiful and the days are long, you want to spend as much time outside as possible. From hosting gatherings at your home to simply relaxing, there’s no better place to be than in your own backyard paradise. Your backyard can be anything you want it to be: a playground for your kids; a haven of relaxation; or an outdoor space that will have all your friends begging to come over!
For upgrades to your home, send us a message to see how we can help prepare your home for the new season and make it a summer sanctuary. https://cbrannonconstruction.com/contact-page/